In the spring of 2010, Trojan was selected as the supplier of UV disinfection equipment to the Coquitlam, British Columbia Water Treatment Plant (WTP) upgrade.
The state-of-the-art, $100 million system was officially unveiled this past summer of 2014. The installation included a total of eight TrojanUVTorrent™ reactors, equipped with TrojanUV Solo Lamp™ Technology.
Vancouver is home to nearly 2.3 million people, making it the third largest city in Canada. The Greater Vancouver Water District owns and operates the Coquitlam WTP, which has a treatment capacity of 1,200 million litres (317 million gallons), of drinking water per day.
As Coquitlam source water flows through the water treatment facilities, it is first ozonated to increase its ability to transmit light. Then ultraviolet (UV) light is passed through the water to disinfect chlorine-resistant organisms such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia, which can cause illness in humans.
Metro Vancouver placed the concept of sustainability at the center of its operating and planning philosophy – calling it the Sustainable Region Initiative (SRI).
Numerous sustainable features were incorporated into the new UV building including a green roof, fish-friendly culverts, EcoSmart concrete – made using low carbon dioxide emitting methods, and a hydronic heating system which uses water to heat or cool the building. Trojan Technologies is happy to be a part of this wonderful new facility!
Global TV News Coverage
- Touring Coquitlam’s UV Disinfection Facility – Metro Vancouver article and video
- Metro Vancouver Sees the Light – Vancouver Sun article
- UV Light Now Zaps Metro Drinking Water – Maple Ridge News article
- Metro Vancouver Unveils New Coquitlam Water Treatment Facility- The Tri-Cities Now
Metro Vancouver Videos Charting the Progress of the Facility
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Project Overview – Video #1
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Project Begins – Video #2
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Update 2012 – Disinfecting with UV Light – Video #3
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Media Tour 2013 – Video #4
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection 2013 Project Update – Video #5
- Coquitlam UV Project – Environmental Stewardship – Video #6
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Project – The Green Roof – Video #7
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Project – Media Tour 2014 – Video #8
- Coquitlam UV Disinfection Project Time lapse 2011 – 2014 – Video #9